The ninth Moravian Music Festival took place in New York City on June 16-22, 1969, with performances at First Moravian Church, the Brick Presbyterian Church, Susan Wagner High School, and the Riverside Church. With Thor Johnson as Music Director, programs included a first modern performance of Latrobe’s The Dawn of Glory. Daily worship was led by the Rev. David M. Henkelmann.
Guest artists included Lorna Haywood, soprano; Charles Bressler, tenor; William C. Lathon, bass-baritone; Ralph Votapek, piano; Frederick Swann, organ; and Pierre Menard, concertmaster.
Seminar faculty included…
- Lee H. Bristol, Jr., “Utilizing Music More Effectively in Worship”
- Donald Marsh, “Understanding Contemporary Expressions of Worship”
- Ewald V. Nolte, “A New Day for Latrobe’s Dawn of Glory“
- Frederick Swann, “Organ Workshop”
- Alec Wyton, “How to Sing”
The Festival was organized by a committee with …
- Thor Johnson, Music Director
- David Keehn, Assistant to the Conductor
- Clarence T. Leinbach, Sr., Honorary Chairman
- Edward and Dorothy Rondthaler, General Chairmen
- The Rev. Robert E. Sawyer, Executive Secretary
- The Rev. David M. Henkelmann, Assistant Executive Secretary
- Michael A. Masten, Treasurer